Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Some Spring Goals

As a result of some work related drama, my life feels like it's a little bit out of control. I am in the death grip of Teh Craziness, and I now 100% ready to take the plunge to step up (you know, you've got to get up to get down!) and take control. Or, at least, try to take control (I'm sure you know how Teh Craziness hates to let anyone else drive once it gets behind the wheel; even if it is a really crappy driver). So I am going to be going around my life and tidying things up a bit. I thought that I might start with my money and move on from there.

So, without further ado ...

Spring Money Goals according to SuperCareo
{ta-da!}
Step One in her Effort to get rid of Teh Craziness
{sound of trumpets blaring and wild applause}

Ahem. Moving on:
  1. Think of a new word that means the same as "budget"
    • Because I can't stick to a B----- to save my life, I have decided that I need to create something totally new, different, and even possibly fun (I know what you're thinking, I'm sure it can be done somehow) to make myself STICK TO IT THIS TIME.
  2. Find a way to stop the money hemorrhage that is my bank account
    • This is, more or less, directly attached to task #1. However, the more I think about it, it's also directly linked to #3 ... and #4 ... and #5.
    • So ... I suppose that what I'm trying to say is that this will hopefully be a result of creating and following through with all of my other Spring Goals
  3. Create consequences for overspending; implement them as needed
    • Which makes me feel like a little kid. Almost to the point that this point is embarrassing to say, er, write so that others can read it.
    • But seriously, the overspending has. to. stop. NOW. And even if it means I'm going to be the DD for the next two months of my life because I overspent and have no money left over for booze, SO BE IT!
    • {note to self: in the Not-A-Budget, create a booze allowance}
  4. Determine savings goals; devise a realistic plan to achieve said goals
    • We all know that I have a tendency to go a little, tiny bit way overboard with my savings goals.
    • The overboard needs to stop. Realistic saving needs to start. Mama needs a ticket to China (maybe January?!), possibly a new laptop (my clunker is many, many moons old), and this.
  5. Be crafty without destroying my financial house of cards
    • This is fairly simple - make crafts with the stuff I already have. THEN make the other stuff once I have saved up a little and can afford it.
    • OH, and also this: when you go to the store to get supplies (yarn, fabric, or what have you) KNOW JUST EXACTLY HOW MUCH YOU NEED. There will be no more "oh, I'll just get X yards, I can put the left over in my stash" thinking. It's wasteful (not just because I'm buying more than I need, but also because {clearly} I'm not using what's already in the stash.)
Seeing this makes me excited to tackle my monetary short-comings and let them know who's boss. Because, obviously, I want to be The Master of my Money! (See how I did that? That is quality writing people. Stick around, it'll only get better from here!)

In honor of these goals, I am going to wipe the Pay-O-Save-O-Meter's clean, re-assign them, and take off. I will keep you posted.

Also, I would like to open the floor for anyone who has an idea for naming my Not-A-Budget.

1 comment:

LisaClark said...

Okay Careo, so I can't use the "b" word but you have to get a system up and running that works for you. Today I was meeting a friend for lunch, when I remembered that I only had £10 cash in my purse and no credit or debt cards. What do you do? I have to live by my budget, I have no choice that is all I have to spend.
All my bills are set to auto payment and the only only account that isn't is the one I am snowballing.
I have a micro "system" for my spending which is in cash.
But this is a system which has taken me more than a year to really trash out. It works for me but it may not work for you.
You have to keep trying to find what works best for you. Read up other pf bloggers and see what they do.
You gotta have a plan!